Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Are You Ready?

It is not fun when you are sick. It is even less fun when your spouse is sick. But when your child is sick? It is tragic. The littlest among us can be the sickest... and yet smile at the world. We should learn from them :)

My 11 year old son is the first to come down with the dreaded flu this year. He was a little "off" but fine when he went to bed last night. This morning I went to wake him for school, instead of snuggling and giving me his sleepy smile, he rolls over and announces that his throat hurts. My first reaction is that he just has a dry throat from the night... it is that time of year.

Well, I looked into his mouth... and yep! Inflammation and spots.. and a low grade fever... Oh boy. 

I will just insert here that I am not a doctor. What I am is a mom who trusts her instincts and her past experiences.

From what I have noticed in my family is that things like a cold start with a runny nose and sneezing followed by congestion... but don't really develop a fever. Strep throat will sneak up on us with a lingering sore and scratchy throat for a few days before a fever even thinks to show itself. The flu will look like regular tiredness from a busy day(or weekend) then BAM! Fever, sore throat and achy muscles... not fun at all!

Now, knowing what we know, there is no point going to the doctor unless the flu develops into something more serious, like pneumonia. The goal is to not let that happen

Enter my flu fighting tool box!


This is the little bag that I keep stocked with my immune boosting basics. The essential oils will change depending on what I am treating and the age of the "patient".

What is always in here are my herbal go-to's:

1tsp. 4x during the day. This can be added to the tea if the flavor is to strong.
1tsp every 2 hours until the sore throat is gone.
1 cup of tea at 4x a day.
1tsp. in the tea. Mix 1 Tbs. of honey with 1tsp. of cinnamon and use on toast.  
 Both of these are for fever and inflammation. I give 2 tablets under the tong 4x a day, alternating between them.

If you have a really little one, under 1 year of age, do not give them honey. I would recommend seeing a qualified health care professional, preferably one that is familiar with natural remedies.

My son is almost 12  and weighs 70lbs. so this is what I use and how I dose him.

I also keep some non natural stuff in by little tool kit. If I don't catch the symptoms in time or the symptoms are really strong I may use one of the following:


Follow manufacturer and doctor instructions on the above medications. 

I do believe in a balance between natural and western medicine. While I will reach for the nutritional, herbal and aromatherapy remedies first, I have also learned during my son's fight with cancer, that western medicine has its place. It is all a balance... did I already say that? ;)

Now for the fun part... the oils!

The recommended oils for children with the flu are:
Ravensara
antiseptic, antiviral, antibiotic, anti-infectious, febrifuge 
Eucalyptus Radiata
antiseptic, anti-infectious, antibiotic, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, febrifuge
Thyme ct. linalol
antibiotic, analgesic, antiseptic, anti-infectious, antiviral, tonic

See a pattern? In case you are wondering, febrifuge is a fancy way of saying it lowers fever.

When treating a child over the age of 4 you can put 1 drop of thyme and 1 drop of ravensara on your hands, rub them together and apply to your child's back followed by a coating of coconut oil(if they aren't allergic). If you have a younger child then put 1 drop of thyme and 2 drops ravensara in 1tsp of carrier oil before massaging into their back.

The last thing , besides tons of rest, fluids, and a simple nourishing diet that I like to add is a soak in a mixture of epsom salts and baking soda. Both are great for detoxifying the body as well as adding valuable minerals to the water that the skin then absorbs. I fill the bath with very warm water, to the tolerance of the one taking the bath. mix 1/2 cup epsom salt with 1/2 cup baking soda, add 4 drops lavender. Once the bath is full pour in the mixture stir it around a bit then have the child get in and soak for about 20 min. Due to the hot water, do not use this when fever is active or on young children.

I hope this post gives you some ideas for the upcoming season. 

As always be safe, stay healthy and do your research.
I am not a doctor,the above recommendations are based on my own experiences and years of research. When in doubt please consult with a qualified medical practitioner.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment