Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tea Tree: Recipes

I hope you, my readers, will forgive me for not writing this post sooner. I took a class this weekend that ended-up capturing my imagination and opened my mind to another vast aspect of the plant world.

I will be writing a post on it as soon as I finish processing the information in myself.

I had told you before that tea tree oil plays wonderfully with lavender, and it is so true. Very rarely do I use tea tree on its own, often I will mix it with lavender in one form or another to enhance the benefits of both.

Dental Abcess
(If you have one, by all means go see your dentist! This does not replace his care.) 
3 drops lavender
2 drops tea tree
1 tsp. jojoba oil
Massage over the entire jaw and cheek area on the affected side.

Boils
2 drops tea tree
2 drops lavender
Place in a small bowl of warm water and bathe the area twice a day. Use a fresh mix each time.

Cuts and Abrasions
(this is most often how I use these oils)
3 drops lavender
2 drops tea tree
Use these proportions to make a small bottle of the blend(5/8 dram size with a reducer cap will hold 40-60 drops). Add 3-5 drops to a bowl of water and bathe the area. Place one drop of the blend on the bandage before covering the wound.

You can also keep a 5ml bottle with 10 drops of the blend topped off with jojoba oil to rub around the area if a bandage is not needed. Both blends are perfect in a first aid kit along with a small bottle of water and gauze. I use them in place of antiseptic wash and antibacterial ointments.

Itchy Feet Remedy
10 drops lavender
10 drops tea tree
1 c. Epsom salt
1/2 c. baking soda
Mix the oils in a small bottle with a reducer cap. Combine the salt and baking soda in a bowl and add 5 drops of the oil blend. Add the mixture to a bathtub with enough warm water to cover your feet to the ankles, or you can use a lage basin like you would wash dishes in. Relax and soak you feet for at least 10 minutes or until the water cools.

As you may notice, the last two recipes ask that you combine the oils in a separate storage bottle and only use a few drops at a time. This brings up an important tool of the aromatherapist, a synergistic blend.When you blend two oils together and give them a chance to mingle  you end up with a substance that is greater then each oil working individually. I personally prefer to always mix the essential oils together first and then add my carrier substance(oil, salt, baking soda, water...). 

If you are making a single dose of oil for a rub and are intending to use the entire mix in one session, like a massage then something like a shot glass is a good option. Place your oils in the glass first then add your oil. I have a small glass cup that I purchased at a beauty supply store. It is intended for use with acrylic nail solution but it is the perfect size to blend a  few drops of oil before I add them to a bath or some other application.

The next oil we will add to our tool box is peppermint... one of my personal favorites!

As always, be safe and know your oil.
 And please, don't eat them! There is an herb for that ;)

I am not a doctor. Nor am I qualified to diagnose or treat any illness. I am simply a student of the world around me. Use the oils at your own risk and please consult your medical professional. This blog is a compilation of my own experiences and study.


Copyright2013
All Rights Reserved
      

No comments:

Post a Comment